Sunday, April 11, 2010

Introduction


Ohio author Eleanor Youmans wrote children’s novels in the 1920s, ‘30s, and ‘40s. Her stories were mostly about cats and dogs, including titles such as Skitter Cat, Little Dog Mack, and Cinder, but she also wrote about her ancestors in The Forest Road and Mount Delightful.

I grew up in Pataskala, Ohio, her hometown and read some of her books as a kid. In middle school, my English teacher assigned a project that entailed writing about our family history. My mom gave me her copy of Mount Delightful to read, since it was about my great-great-great grandmother (Eleanor’s grandmother) emigrating into the U.S. from Wales. At the time I don't know if I was more fascinated that there was a book about one of my ancestors, or that I was related to a real live published author! (I was always a bookworm).

My family mentioned her sometimes, but she passed away before I was born. I have always wanted to know more about her and I’m finally starting to actively begin that research. She was a fascinating woman, and I'll post more as I learn about her.

Eleanor Youmans, pictured here with black and tan terrier, Jill, and barely visible black and white cat, Whiskers, from a 1937 article published in The Newark Advocate

No comments:

Post a Comment